Markland Wood is settled on the West side of Etobicoke. The neighbourhood is enclosed by Elmcrest Creek in the east, Etobicoke Creek in the west and is bordered by Markland Wood County. The land on which it was originally built on was granted to John Silverthorn in the year 1910. The Silverthorn family then sold the land to Mark Cavotti in 1958, and a neighbourhood was built.
The housing in Markland Woods was built in the 1960’s which consisted of regency revival deigns and two-storey Georgian style homes along with split design houses and detached bungalows.
On the south-west corner of Mill Road and Bloor Street, sits the Markland Wood Plaza.The main mall in the neighbourhood is Burnhamthorpe Mall which is located on 666 Burnhamthorpe Drive and encompasses a post office, very popular food market, medical, dental clinics and a pet store along with a family restaurant.
Bus services are be easily accessed along Bloor Street, Mill Road and Markland Drive connecting the residents to the Go Transit stations and Kipling TTC. There is a Markland Wood Home association benefiting the residents including scholarships, nightly meetings and an annual Christmas Caravan.